Saturday 4 April 2009

The Trouble with Cotton

Episode Two of the Electric Sheep podcast is now up, Knit & Be Damned. Please pop over and have a listen, I'd love to know what you think.

Meanwhile, knitting continues apace over in Hoxton, although nothing drastically exciting to report. I'm still working away on the minimalist cardigan and doing miles and miles of seed stitch. It's looking pretty good but doesn't really make for an exciting photo.

But perhaps you lovely knitterly folk can help with another problem instead. I have a stash of Ddebbie Bliss Cotton DK, in a lovely dark shade of turquoise, and I simply do not know what the hell to do with it. You see, I hate cotton. It's stiff and cumbersome to knit with, it weighs a ton, any garment ends up stretching down to your ankles. I also have some Rowan Bamboo Tape which, although nicer to knit with, suffers from many of the same issues. A fellow Hoxton knitter made the excellent suggestion of a Clapotis, which I think might work for that. But the DK would be much to heavy for that. So, what to do? I've had a look through Ravelry but nothing has grabbed me so far. What am I missing? Answers on a postcard please...

Debbie Bliss Cotton DK
84m/50g (I have 400g)
Gauge: 4mm needles 20sts/28rows

But for now, the sun is shining, the birds are singing (and a helicopter keeps flying over my house but I'm ignoring this intrusion on my pastoral idyll) and I think it's time to head outside. Spring is indeed sprung. Although putting away my cosy, heavier jumpers always makes me a little sad....

No comments: